Friday, May 13, 2011

Tokyo at Sunrise

The flight was long and bumpy, but Singapore Air is the best. Good food, great service, lots of freebies, and, for economy - surprising leg room.

Customs and the connection to the Limousine Bus was so effortless, I thought I was dreaming. As we were making our way from Narita into Tokyo, I was astounded by the number of office workers in highrises who were still hard at work. Mind you, by this time it was 9 pm or so. And the number of people on the streets who appeared to be just getting off work -- Tokyo really is a city that doesn't sleep.

Since I'm staying close to Shinjuku and Shibuya, my anime heart beat faster as I saw so many young people who looked like some of my favorite characters clustered on the sidewalks. All the women (so far) in Japan are fashion models - gorgeous, graceful, and impeccably dressed. Maybe it's a Tokyo thing.

Tucked into my cozy room, I can hear the whisper of the metro trains go by. It's actually a soothing, almost reassuring sound. As for my cosy room - a model of compact efficiency - spotlessly clean though not new, compact in ways that make so much sense. The hotel is quiet, friendly and home for the week.

Pictures will follow as I go out and about today. Apparently I'm here in time for a big design and art exhibition (this weekend only) and the hotel gave me a free ticket.

OK - it's 6 AM, I've been awake since 3 AM, and it's time to get cracking before I fade again.

2 comments:

  1. I like Singapore airline, too. Their services are tremendous.
    While reading your blog, I'm getting miss my country. Seoul, Korea is like Tokyo, Japan. I could walk along the street until midnight. It wasn't dangerous at all.
    Enjoy night life in Japan!
    You would not experience here in the U.S.A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great time you're having. And what fabulous luck being in town during the design and art exhibition. Can't wait to see photos of all the cool stuff you're seeing. Linda

    ReplyDelete