Sunday, May 15, 2011

Shrines and Electronics - Interesting mix

Yesterday I decided to visit a very famous Shrine in Asakusa. Hotel staff warned me it would be crowded - it being Sunday and a nice day. Flying in the face of her wisdom, I went anyway. She wasn't kidding! Even on Sunday the trains are packed. The crowds only added to the excitement. Asakusa is a place that has the flavor of old Japan. Crowded narrow alleys with colorful restaraunts and vendors. It was energizing and so much fun. And of course the shrine, called Senso-ji. Absolutely incredible architecture and art at every turn. Even the manhole covers in the streets are works of art.

Akihabara, or electric town, was the complete opposite. Skyscrapers with anime characters all over them. They close of a huge section of the streets so it's pedestrian only - which is a blessing since it was Sunday and wall to wall people. Akihabara is also home to the famous maid cafes and the there a number of young women dressed in maid outfits trying to attract customers to the cafe. They are so cute.

Then on to Harajuku and Yoyogi Park which is home to the Meiji Jingu Shinto shrine. The park is huge! And wouldn't you know it - my second wedding in Japan. This time I was able to catch a quick snapshot of the bride.



















P.S. These pictures are in no particular order and make no narrative sense. Just wanted everyone to have a glimpse of what I get to see everyday now.

4 comments:

  1. Love the images. Today I viewed a KCET program about Matsue and Lake Shinji (I think south-west of Tokyo). It included how how silk threads are dyed to represent the lake's colors. Continue sharing your photos and having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You took a picture of Hatchi at the Shibuya station! I want to go back and see the statue. What an amazing adventure you are having and thanks so much for sharing! Have you seen Ganguro girls yet? I hope you are having a blast eating yummy Japanese snacks! :-) Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your pictures! I am reminded of my own visit to Asakusa three years ago. Did you get your fortune there? :) Either way, you packed a lot into a single day!

    ReplyDelete