Friday, May 20, 2011

Kamakura as beach town?

Yesterday was adventure by train. Found out there are 2 types of cars even on what look like regular subway trains. For any distance, there are green cars, with nice seats. Didn't find this out until I was heading back to Tokyo, which was just about right as I was dead on my feet and not standing for an hour was very appealing. Having a Green Car JR Rail pass comes in handy.

Feeling the need to leave the city noise behind, I headed for Kamakura and more temples and shrines than any one town should have. There are over 25 major shrines - I made it to 3. It was hot and sunny with a brisk breeze so great for walking (and I have the sunburn to prove it). Chose the Daibatsu first, the great seated Buddha. Pictures in no way do it justice. It is truly magnificent.  Started in 1252 and looks very good for his age. Apparently, every school group in Japan thought so as well. There must've been 500 kids there. The most fun was seeing groups of school kids and 2 kimono-clad beauties all in the same frame. What a country!

Realizing the Kamakura was one huge tourist trap, I decided to escape from the fray by heading to the beach. Now, in almost every anime series there is the obligatory beach episode with buxom young ladies in itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny bikinis and lecherous young men. Well, I found a friendly crow. Mmm. Must give the anime folks a heads up about reality.

Headed back towards town and more shrines and ended up at the Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine, which is another magnificent piece of architecture and beauty combined. The setting is park-like and there is a lily pond. Across the pond is an island with a flags - unclear on what that was about - maybe MY can enlighten. The bridge leading to the island was yet another masterpiece.

Oddly enough, it's 2 little encounters during the day that really stick out. When I boarded the (full) train in the morning, there was one lone seat open and I rushed to fill it. I noticed an elderly woman standing, caught her eye and motioned for her to take the seat instead. She gratefully accepted and not 30 seconds later alerted me to another vacated seat. As she left the train, she turned and gave me a huge smile and bow. What a way to start the day!

The second encounter: asking for directions of two charming school boys with my incomprehensible Japanese, I was satisfied I could figure out the way from our mutual gesticulations. They were walking ahead of me and I obliviously ambled along, stopping to take pictures or admire a store. It finally dawned on me that they kept looking back and slowing down. Could they be waiting for me? Turns out, they were worried I wouldn't know where to go, so they were there to guide me. When the realization hit (with a bolt of lightening) I tried to indicate I was just fine and could get there on my own. No, that would not do. Mind you, I'm sure they were going way out of their way. So after a few more yards and some hilarious attempts at conversation, Shinpai nai - daijobu. Meaning (I hope) Don't worry, it's fine. They left with concerned looks. After about 5 minutes, they show up again - just to make sure I made it to my destination! How's that for respecting the feeble elderly?













1 comment:

  1. You are meeting such wonderful people. I love the story about the woman on the train and the 2 young students. How cool is that! I'm enjoying the photos of the temple in Kamakura. The statue of the Great Buddha is amazing.

    ReplyDelete