Friday, May 20, 2011

Making the rounds

Yes, it's true. Seems I spend more time on the subway than out and about. Well, today I wanted to make a loop of places that meant something to me because of my anime obsession. So I created a loop on the subway (changing trains is always so painful) and got to see where the inspiration for some of the stories comes from.

A side note: people-watching on the train is a blast. I don't know whether anime characters are based on real people or whether real people copy anime, but I've seen very type out there. The boys have the aloof, rock star slouch with the slightly arrogant but vulnerable vibe. Men have the all dressed in the same black suit but distinctive hair syles (always perfect by the way) look going. Girls have short skirts on their school uniforms; women wear wonderful concoctions of those thigh-high stockings and lacey tops. It's the whole utterly impractical shoe thing that has me puzzled. Just getting around the subway system is a hike, and I see women teetering along in shoes that can in no way be comfortable. I even seen them climbing the huge stone steps of temples in them. Of course that seems to be a universal  trend for women. I've never figured that one out.

Back to the loop. Started out by heading to Ikebukuro which is the up and coming rival to Electric Town in Akihabara. Actually some of the architecture is more interesting here.

Next stop is for Read or Die fans. If you don't know that anime series about 3 paper sisters who are such bibliophiles their noses are rarely out of books, you should rent it from Netflix. There is a movie as well. Well, Jimbocho is where a lot of the action takes place -- it's the book district. Second-hand book stores line the streets along with the more Barnes and Noble type places. The major difference between Jimbocho used book stores and USA stores: Jimbocho has books in nearly every language - not just Japanese. I saw some books that I would love to own -- too heavy to carry and too expensive to buy anyway. But oh my, what treasures. Books pile high in tiny shops with aisles so narrow I was afraid to go in.

From Jimbocho to Roppongi, which after dark has the host club/bar scene thing going. There is a place called Roppongi Hills, a gleaming tower of shops and eateries. I saw so many Westerners and heard so many American voices, it threw me a bit. A look at the area map explained that phenomenon quickly. There are several embassies and embassy living quarters very nearby. The area is the brainchild of a billionaire who has a penchant for art, architecture and making loads of money.

Next stop: Shibuya. Home of the famous statue Hachi and apparently the preferred place for protesters and general soap box activity. Very lively. Wish I knew what they were saying.

Finally, back to the hotel, where I was awakened from my much needed nap to the fourth earthquake of the day. Every day there are little tremors. Today's rumblings have been far stronger and have lasted from 15 seconds to over a minute (which as you know, in earthquake years is an eternity). There was one which didn't seem likely to stop so I did the whole duck and cover. Not pleasant.

For AK-- there was an add for a doggie spa with aromatherapy massage, bathing, boarding, etc. Maybe Miss Z would like to check it out.









 As close to karoke as I'll ever get.
Tomorrow is an undecided adventure. We'll just have to wait and see. Stay tuned.






 

3 comments:

  1. Love the owl family. The spider looks like it's massaging the gentleman. Great photography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol,

    You have a great eye for photos. I took the liberty of making a Stupeflix -- a collage with music -- of your photos. Check it out here:
    http://youtu.be/tYLxDSS2zVc

    I am learning as I am going with changes to social media tools. I hope you like it when you get back. Think only of the wonders of Japan. :-)

    ~Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course - I love the "Dog Siesta" Hotel & Trimming. Made me smile.

    Love the pictures! Kim

    ReplyDelete