Monday, May 23, 2011

The Bullet Train








The shinkansen from Tokyo  to Kyoto rocketed through the countryside and in a mere 2-1/2 hours I was figuring out where my new digs were located. Turns out the hotel is just like a real hotel…a real lobby, attentive clerks and all sorts of amenities. They give you a little gift bag when you check in. It started to rain when the train pulled into the station, and gave it a little more effort as I was walking toward the hotel. By the time I'd checked in, unpacked and figured out what sightseeing was first on the list, it was starting to pour. Well, I don't melt so I headed out for the first heritage walk.

Turns out, after about 3 hours of walking, I pretty much do melt. The biggest disappointment wasn't the rain, or the fact it's the 750th anniversary of the temple I chose first to visit (covered over for the festivities), but that the Costume Museum apparently has closed down - either for the anniversary celebration or forever, wasn't clear which.  I have a real fondness for textiles of all sorts and have made a point of collecting fabrics from all over the world. OK - those of you who are splitting your sides laughing because all I wear is black - I do love fashion and native clothing - just on other people.

However, intrepid adventurers still take photos, and if you aren't sick of temples and details of temples, with the odd modern building thrown in, here are some more photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment