Monday, June 6, 2011

Takayama & trains

I'm totally into trains now. They are clean, restful places with air-conditioning, plush seats, great service, and they rock you to sleep after a long day of sightseeing. In the case of the trip to Takayama, 10 hours on trains didn't diminish that notion one bit.

The majority of my time in Japan has been spent walking hours on end every day. There is so much to see and do, it's hard not to get out there and keep going. In my case it's because I get lost so frequently, I end up walking miles out of my way just to get to a point I can recognize as some place I need to be. So taking a long train ride was a refreshing change from pounding the pavement in hot cities.

Five hours to Takayama so I could have 2-1/2 there and then 5 hours back. Needless to say, the journey there and back was part of the plan. Seeing the countryside from the train is certainly one way to cover lots of ground without having to walk or drive. And the scenery was breathtaking once we got past the concrete jungles. There is a long river the train follows. It has massive boulders and what look like lava flows - only in limestone. I tried to capture some with the camera, but a fast-moving train doesn't give you much time to set up shots.

Upon arriving in Takayama, I had to make a decision. Twenty minute bus ride to the open air village or spend my time walking around town in the preserved Edo period section. I chose town as I had already seen rustic houses and other buildings in Osaka. And it was a good choice. Not only did the preserved section of town have a festive feeling, it had great things to admire. In fact, the town itself is kind of funky and fun. It seems the Japanese can't get enough of their own past too. Like Americans and the wild west.

Time to hop the train again. I've discovered that the stations frequently make great museums for art. Just the right amount to prevent fatigue, you can take all the pictures you want, and it helps pass the time waiting for the next leg in your journey.












I always sight cranes, egrets, hawks and ducks in the rice fields, but this time there was an added plus to the sightings. How many can say they have seen a monkey sitting atop a house, happily taking in the view?

No comments:

Post a Comment