Monday, June 6, 2011

Last days in Japan

As usual, I spend the majority of my last days wandering around, going down interesting alleyways, finding wonderful little surprises that delight the eye.

I got up early as promised on Sunday to go to the famous Tokyo Flea market (well one of them anyway). I found the place fairly easily only to discover it was a no show. Don't know why - so I had to make a decision about what to do.

In an unusual move,  I decided to take the last remaining tram in Tokyo on its loop. It takes you through neighborhoods that are more like small towns than the big concrete mass which is Tokyo. It's called the Arwakawa Tram and mostly I decided to do it because of an anime called Arwakawa Under the Bridge. The tram is old and funky and is the best place on a Sunday to people watch - mostly families with the cutest babies imaginable going for outings. The tramway is lined with a profusion of roses and hollyhocks. At the end of the line there was this intimate little shopping area that felt like an old-time town. For some reason, many of the light poles were decked out with a sprig of flowers. Very festive.

I spent the afternoon exploring Ikebukuro some more and discovered Tokyu Hands, a store that must have every gadget and I-wanna-have-it item you need from cookware to DIY stuff. I was there to check out every floor but mostly to think about purchasing wheeled luggage after hauling around my bag through various train stations. That, and everyone in Japan has rolling luggage of one size or another and I was getting jealous. Well I'm convinced that if I take another trip of any length, spinner wheels are a must. In the meantime, I only have to schlep through the airport to get home and I'm done.

Today was more exploring and I discovered the most amazing thing. I happened upon a building - a school - and said to myself, that looks like a Frank Lloyd Wright design. Lo and behold, there was a sign next to it and yes, it is a FLW, built in the 1920s. Do I know my architecture or what?

More wonderful wall art in another lucky find, and finally on to my objective which is a huge anime & manga emporium. It also had an entire section devoted to cos-play costumes. Of course, EVERYTHING is in Japanese so of zero use to me, but it was fun to browse.

As the day was only getting hotter and muggier, I decided to take in a movie. I couldn't believe the ticket was over $20.00!!! That was without popcorn. When I got to the floor for the movie, the floor manager was very concerned and made me understand the movie was only in Japanese - no sub-titles. I said I understood. Usually I can get a handle on what is going on, but I confess, the finer points totally escaped me. It was nice to sit in air-conditioning for a couple of hours anyway.

I will say this: theater patrons are totally silent in the movies, as they are in libraries (yes, I dropped into a couple, after school, just to check) and you don't hear loud cell phone conversations on trains or anywhere else for that matter.

And now it's time to pack and prepare to leave. So this blog is nearly at an end. I will be posting some more photos as I get some photoshopped, and probably do a better job of labeling them. I'll also be posting some more observations, but the blog ends with the trip and the trip is all but over.




















It's been fun.

2 comments:

  1. Noooo!!! I can't believe you trip's ending! It's been fast for us so I can just imagine how fast it went for you. I have enjoyed your blog so much and want to go back to Japan! See you soon!-Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe this blog is the end... I would be very miss your blog about Japan.
    I will look forward to seeing your photoshopped pictures, though.

    Take a deep rest at home!

    Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete